[Histonet] brain freeze artifact

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Fri Jul 16 15:59:53 CDT 2021

First of all, freezing spray should NEVER be used in a cryostat.  It produces dangerous aerosolized pathogens that linger in the air, just waiting to infect someone. There should be no exceptions.
As to the ice artifact problem,  not surprising to see this in brain since it is so fragile and often edematous.  Your best bet to eliminate freeze artifact is to "snap freeze" the tissue using the technique used in muscle biopsy samples.  A metal sample cup containing 2-Methyl Butane (Isopentane) is  suspended in Liquid Nitrogen, stirring until it becomes a thickened, white slurry.  The mounted tissue sample is immersed in this slurry to freeze, then placed in the cryostat to come up to cryostat temps before cutting.  That is the short and sweet version, and there are many published versions of the technique.  It is cumbersome, but produces no freezing artifact.
Best of luck, Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
HNL Laboratories for