[Histonet] Microtome Recommendations

Bacon, Charles Charles.Bacon at baystatehealth.org
Tue Feb 9 12:32:39 CST 2021

Hi Kelly,

We have tried several manufactures, as well as model types over the years. We have had sliding microtomes (Microm, no longer available), and rotary microtomes from, Leizt (old), AO (very old), and Leica. We have had several models from Leica and prefer their durability. If you are manual, you are hard pressed to find a more durable and reliable microtome than the "Leica RM2125 RTS - The Essential Microtome" you can get the gross feed wheel in "American (toward you)" or "European (away from you)" so be careful to ask when ordering. If you are looking for Automatic we have 10 of the  RM2255 from Leica, which I think is now called "HistoCore AUTOCUT - Automated Rotary Microtome." These are great and several of my techs have adopted the use of a foot pedal to preserve their shoulders.  Good luck and happy shopping!

Best,

Chuck Bacon, HTL(ASCP)CM
Supervisor Histology
Baystate Medical Center
361 Whitney Ave., Holyoke, MA 01040
Telephone: 413-322-4786  Fax: 413-322-4790
Charles.Bacon at baystatehealth.org