[Histonet] need some research help

Horner, Roberta J rjr6 at psu.edu
Tue Aug 31 10:03:07 CDT 2021

I received the following from a researcher in the forensics department. I am not sure exactly what he wants and am not sure if this is possible.

I have been asked to assist a researcher in examining thin sections of coagulated blood drops in order to distniguish individual drops that were deposited at different times onto a substrate.  The investigator intends to deposit one drop of fresh blood onto a surface (perhaps paper or paraffin) and allow the blood to coagulate.  After that is coagulated he will deposit a second drop on top of the first.  Once the second drop is also coagulated he will preserve the sample as recommended for cross sectioning and evalaution.  He intends to cut cross sections of the samples and examine them in order to determine how coagulation time changes the interface of the two droplets.  The underlying question is "does time/extent of coagulation of deposited blood affect the deposition pattern of additional layers of blood on top of the first layer?"  If the entire sample was encased in paraffin would there be a way to cut sections for microscopy, either with or without staining?

Roberta J Horner
Penn State
Animal Diagnostic Lab