[Histonet] Molecular Ordering in Pathology

Amy Self ASelf at tidelandshealth.org
Thu Apr 29 12:43:28 CDT 2021

How is your lab handling molecular orders that are coming from outside physician offices?

We currently receive molecular orders via fax, and this is getting quite cumbersome. When we were only getting a few a week it was tolerable but now we are getting a few orders daily.  What should be a simple process takes entirely too long because we end up having to call the physician's office to clarify the order or ask which PDL-1 you want, ICD-10 codes, etc. and then go to the reference lab website and order the test.

I just feel there is some simpler way of doing this. I would like to see the ordering physician's office order their own test from the reference lab - we get a request to send the block out and it's over. Am I Hopeless in histology for wanting or expecting a simpler workflow for molecular orders?

Our IT department is trying to simplify things but no matter what they come up with it seems to create more work for us in histology. We have Meditech LIS system.  Just to throw this out there too - we have no pathology secretary or a mail-out department; we histotechs do all this work within the histology department ourselves.

Thanks,
Amy Self
Senior Histology Technologist
Tidelands Georgetown Memorial Hospital
606 Black River Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Office: (843) 520-8711
aself at tidelandshealth.org
Our mission:  We help people live better lives through better health.

NOTE:
The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you.