[Histonet] FW: Temperature Checks

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed Oct 7 13:00:55 CDT 2020

Amy, we have been using Awarepoint, but they are apparently going out of business so we are switching over to Stanley Aeroscout on all fridges, freezers and room temp/humidity throughout our facilities.

We have direct access to the monitoring of each "asset" and can check it online at any time from any computer or mobile. We get email and text (and/or pager) alerts when it goes out of range for 30 minutes, the door is open (via door sensor) or immediately if the power goes off. We have multiple people set up to receive alerts in a hierarchy of escalations.

We can see/print a report at any time of the per-minute temperature history of any asset. We can also print a report showing the temperature of each asset at a given time of day (like the old manual checks). But with immediate access to real-time temperature and graphs that is not useful anymore.

We used to do a daily "check" of the online recording "to make sure the system is working"  but after many years of zero problems we stopped doing that. Our Facilities Department maintains the system and sends out a notice if the network system goes down. The ONLY time we do manual checks is if the system goes down because we would not get alerts in that case. That has not happened in over two years. So we do not check it daily. We only check if we get an alert or if we suspect a problem. The "Tag" that is on each asset has a digital display of temperature at all times. If it goes out of range there is an audible alarm (if anyone is around to hear it) as well as the alert sent via email and text message. It records the temperature of every asset once per minute. The tag keeps recording even if the network goes down and once the system comes back up it will upload all the data to the central system once contact is restored.

Tim Morken

Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies

Department of Pathology

UC San Francisco Medical Center

LET'S TAKE HEALTHCARE

FURTHER, TOGETHER