[Histonet] Validating a new manual special stain

Beth Cox bethcoxx at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 13:30:34 CST 2020

The new CAP Checklist (published 6/4/2020) no longer requires
validations for "/LDTs that employ the following methods: manual
microscopy eg. histopathologic and cytopathologic microscopic
interpretation/"  (see COM.40350, note 8).  So, CAP does not require it
and won't have guidance for that.  HOWEVER, CLIA still requires
validations!   The common way to do that is to run a minimum of 5, and
preferably 10, different samples by the new method and grade them
according to expected results.  A few of the samples should be
'negative' samples.  Using various control tissue for your validations
is perfectly acceptable.  Write that up, have the medical director
review the slides and sign and date the bottom of the form: "This
procedure has been validated and is approved for patient use."

Beth Cox, HTL/SCT(ASCP)QIHC
Pathology Solutions
Prescott, MI