[Histonet] room temperature in Histology labs

Kolman, Kimberly D. Kim.Kolman at va.gov
Tue Mar 10 14:15:39 CDT 2020

Hello All;

Can anyone suggest a required temperature range for Histology Labs?  Specifically in regards to performing paraffin embedding and microtomy?
I think room temperature swings of 66 to 83 degrees F are excessive and I am seeing some issues with paraffin cooling too quickly while embedding as well as my paraffin ribbons blowing around before I get them to the water bath.
Engineering insists the temps and air speed are within their "required range" (according to the thermostat on the wall..........).

Thanks for your input.
Kim

Kimberly D. Kolman, HT (ASCP)
VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System