[Histonet] Levels on biopsies

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 14:11:24 CDT 2020

> Brad Ringer, HTL (ASCP). histology manager at Springfield Clinic in
> Springfield IL asks:

> >>I'm curious to know how many levels your lab cuts on the following
> biopsies: prostate core, cervical, vaginal, bladder, and anus biopsies. I
> ask this because we are currently (and have been for years) giving our
> pathologists 3 levels/slides for each of these and they recently requested
> that we only give them one slide with two sections. Thank you in advance
> for any responses.<<

Speaking only about transrectal needle core biopsies of the prostate: It's
customary to cut five sections. Stain 1,3, and 5, and reserve 2 and 4 for
possible immunostains. If you don't do that, your immunostains will only be
successful about half the time.

I've worked in a number of labs that saw numbers of prostate specimens,
including a specialty prostate lab, and this is the way it was done.

Your pathologists should not stint on this.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN