[Histonet] Apple Green Birefringence in Amyliod slides

Bruce Schainker baschainker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:32:50 CDT 2020

I would add three additional pointers:
1) Assess in a darkened room with eyes acclimated to the dark;
2) Use a powerful light source--the apple green birefringence will be more
obvious and easier to discriminate from the white of collegen; and
3) Assessment sensitivity is further increased if instead of using the
inexpensive films that Tim describes you use a more traditional polarizing
microscope or a regular light microscope with an polarized lens above the
objectives (my microscope has a slide-in slot) and another above the field
lens (I use a removable circular polarizer that fits over the entire field
lens).
Bruce