[Histonet] stain to demonstrate silver ions in tissue?

Tyrone Genade tgenade at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:52:03 CDT 2020

Hello,

A colleague wants to determine the location and relative abundance of
silver impregnation in tissue samples (skin). Is there an histological
method for this?

I know silver will stain the tissue all by itself, but it is important we
are able to identify the limit of the penetration of the silver, which will
likely be greater than we could detect by eye from silver's natural
tendency to react with protein.

Silver apparently slightly enhances the staining with DAB. My experience
with Ni/Co intensification is that this metal catalyzed process happens
without the need for HRP. So after blocking the silver + H2O2 should cause
the DAB to precipitate locally at sites of Ag accumulation. Any thoughts on
this idea?

Thanks
--
Tyrone Genade
Johnson City, Tennessee

*Don't panic if I don't reply to your emails sent over the weekend. I don't
usually have time to check my email over the weekend and will get back to
you on Monday.*