[Histonet] FNA Procedures

Amy Self ASelf at tidelandshealth.org
Wed Jul 8 14:26:00 CDT 2020

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday...

We (histology) have been doing what seems like tons of FNA procedures (Radiology/EBUS\EUS) here lately as well as BM procedures.  With all of the Covid going on around us we are working short staffed and doing the best we can with what we have, but it seems like the physicians are scheduling these procedure's around what works best for them and this seems to be creating some issues here in pathology, especially trying to work between two hospitals because they are scheduling these procedure's when we don't seem to have staff available or they will call and say we have an add-on at the last minute and will need pathology when in fact they end not needing our services. Oh yea and we do not have an on-site cytotech so histology techs are the ones that are helping assist with FNA's.

I was wondering what other facilities are doing as far as working with the other departments with these FNA procedures after hours. Do you have cut-off times, or have them place the aspirated material in formalin for cell block, train the nursing staff to make smears and hope they are good samples or do you just accommodate and go to the procedure if needed?

I think that it's time for a SOP to be put in place.

Thanks,
Amy Self
Senior Histology Technologist
Tidelands Georgetown Memorial Hospital
606 Black River Road
Georgetown, SC 29440
Office: (843) 520-8711
aself at tidelandshealth.org
Our mission:  We help people live better lives through better health.

NOTE:
The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you.