[Histonet] Fixed frozen non-paraffin mouse brain

Roy, Edward J eroy at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 4 20:08:26 CDT 2020

As a research lab, we sometimes would like to use paraformaldehyde-fixed but non-paraffin embedded tissues; paraffin embedding alters antigens and necessitates antigen retrieval, but simple fixation does not. We have done the traditional 30% sucrose before OCT and freezing, with cryostat sectioning, but results are inconsistent, sometimes producing Swiss-cheese brains. Does anybody have an alternative to 30% sucrose that is more reliable?  I didn’t see anything in the Archives after a search for “30% sucrose”.
Thanks very much,
Ed Roy

Edward J. Roy, PhD
Professor Emeritus
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology
Urbana, IL 61801
217 333-3375