[Histonet] pregnancy and chemical exposure

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Tue Jan 21 14:38:06 CST 2020

Hi Val -
I'm sorry that you feel that your concerns are not being addressed.  I am the safety officer for our entire lab as well as the chair on our hospital's Environmental Safety and Hazardous Materials Committee.  I do think that Tim has a valid point that Xylene is detectable by smell long before it poses a danger.  It can be smelled at 0.8ppm to 40ppm and only becomes unacceptable at 100ppm.
You should have access to your most recent exposure tests which should have been performed at the peak of your work exposure process (i.e. using a Short-term exposure value (STEL) measure while changing the processor, or stainer) This is the best look at your actual exposure.  If this STEL has not been done, ask for it to be repeated.  It is cheap and easy. Additionally, you should be provided with appropriate PPE which include NITRILE gloves that are approved for Chemical use (looks for the label to state "tested and approved for use with  Chemotherapy drugs.  Those should be sufficient.) The gloves should be changed every 30 minutes of exposure task time, or sooner if the gloves are compromised.  You should also have access to air flow studies for your fume hood that show it is performing according to specs.
There are no useful studies of xylene exposure and prenatal risk or developmental toxicity.  The best overall study can be found at the NIH, but the only ones that specifically address this had too many limitations to be considered useful and didn't even include exposure levels.
As a tech, I have been in the field for over 40 years, I can tell you that I can count over 20 pregnancies amongst me and my coworkers at 3 different institutions, with no problems whatsoever, and many of these were in a not-so-great  environment as the one I work in now.
As a manager, I would expect that if I gave you the provisions that I discussed, (within STEL, appropriate PPE with Nitrile gloves, and an the hood air flow check) that you should be able to perform your chemical related tasks with no problems.
My personal advice is the stressing over this problem is not good for you or your baby either.  I wish you and your new baby only the best.  Sincerely, Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital