[Histonet] [EXTERNAL Sender] histologists assisting with transplants

Rena Fail renafail2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 17:32:14 CST 2020

when I worked, I did a lot of histology on both native and donor livers.  I
would not have used the term assisting with a liver transplant but on rare
occasions, I had requests for a rapid Oil red O for fat on the donor  liver
In order for the pathologist to better determine the percentage of fat in
the donor liver. Too much fat and it might not be considered for a
transplant.
Maybe it is just a matter of terminology. After all the pathologist and
surgeon called her in at 3am and may have thanked her for her assistance.
In 30 years I may have done 3 rapid ORO's on donor livers

Rena Fail
retired