[Histonet] frozen section/histo duties

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed Aug 26 11:29:45 CDT 2020

Nancy, we have HT (Histotechs) and HLT (Hospital lab techs - lab assistants) who work in grossing and do the frozen sections with residents and pathologists. There is no requirement that a person cutting sections has to be certified in anything.  Our HLT's generally do all the accessioning but do frozens when it gets busy. However, they do not select the piece to freeze - that is done by a PA or resident. They just cut the sections and stain them.

We have a similar situation in histology in that we will hire well qualified people (ie, degrees in biology, or other science) with no experience as HLT's and then train them into histotechs eventually. But in the meantime they can be doing many histotech duties like embedding, sectioning, H&E staining, helping with IHC stainers, etc. Many of these HLT's have become certified techs in our lab over the years. We have 15 histotechs and all are certified. Our 4 HLT's are not.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center