[Histonet] human shoulder joint fixation

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Aug 22 14:28:43 CDT 2020

Jeez....a human shoulder joint?
Be grateful for background.
Many years ago I had to fix/process to Polyester resin many monkey condylar joints ( jaw)
As iterated  here, I stripped all superfluous tissue off and processed the joints to resin.
( as I do now when doing Histology on ms knee joints as model for arthritis....but, using Pwax after decal)
 Monkey mandibles:  fix in Formalin...on a rocker for 2 wks ( 20:1 Formalin:PBS)
Changed twice
I then took them specimens to a dedicated lab who sectioned this resin using a diamond circular saw.
I was too young to follow the process further...also, in them days , Technicians did what they were told and were never appreciated.
Maybe a different fix fluid will give a better morphology....JK will advise, surely!
However, the project I was involved with won a prize...somewhere ( too young to be bothered)

Carl Hobbs FIBMS
Histology and Imaging Manager
Wolfson CARD
Guys Campus, London Bridge