[Histonet] Question concerning H. pylori staining

jkiernan at uwo.ca jkiernan at uwo.ca
Mon Apr 13 01:34:29 CDT 2020

In the method of Leung et al. (1996 J. Histotechnol. 19:131), the periodic acid oxidizes the neutral gastric mucus to generate aldehyde groups, as in the first part of the PAS method. Treatment with an acidified bisulphite solution then converts the aldehyde groups to aldehyde bifulphite groups, which are strong anions. Alcian yellow (a cationic azo dye) binds strongly to these anionic sites (but not to nucleic acids) and may then change into a permanently insoluble pigment. (The chemistry is similar to that of staining with alcian blue 8G; this isn't the place to discuss all that!)

The next step (mildly alkaline aqueous toluidine blue) imparts blue to nearly everything not already coloured yellow; it cannot displace alcian yellow from the already stained neutral gastric mucus, making for strong contrast. The bacteria stain blue by virtue of their anionic components (nucleic acids and materials in their cell walls) so do nuclei of cells. Toluidine blue, like most dyes with small molecules, stains quickly and is also easy to remove. Alcohol-water mixtures remove such dyes faster than either water or 100% alcohol. The original Leung method recommended removing most of the water by careful blotting, and then taking the slide(s) directly to the first of 3 changes of 100% alcohol.

Real alcian yellow (CI 12840, Ingrain yellow 1) has not been manufactured for many years. Other methods for showing blue bacilli in yellow mucus are available, but the chemistry for getting the yellow is not the same.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO, London, Canada
https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/anatomy/people/bios/emeriti/kiernan_john.html
= = =