[Histonet] Histo techs assisting on BM Bx's

Eileen Akemi Allison akemiat3377 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 06:59:55 CDT 2019

Good Morning Histo Peeps:
Back from a great trip to NSH NOLA and hit the ground running yesterday.  I am faced with a department coverage issue which impacts our TAT.  I am curious how many facilities have their histologists assist with BM Bx’s.  I have never in my 50 years as a histologist assisted with BM Bx’s.  That responsibility was under the hematology department responsibilities.

We have 4 FT Histo tech’s and 1 PNR in our department.  Yesterday we had 2 histologists pulled away from bench duties to assist with BM Bx’s, and then another histo tech was called to go to the main hospital to cut FS’s, which is 2 blokes away.  One of the tech’s was gone for 3 hrs because the pathologist performing the BM was extremely slow.  That left 1 tech and myself to cover bench duties.

Keep in mind this is a county hospital with limited funding and a freeze on staffing.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Akemi

Akemi Allison, BS, HT/HTL
Histology Supervisor