[Histonet] PPE for the Histology lab

Martha Ward-Pathology mward at wakehealth.edu
Mon Sep 9 10:04:32 CDT 2019

Our department is looking at safety issues and one suggestion from our CLIA director is that everyone in the lab (our lab performs IHC only) should wear gloves, a gown and eye or face protection at all times and requiring it for anyone that enters the lab.   We have task specific PPE requirements for these items to be worn when changing solutions on the stainers or working with serum for our indirect immunofluorescence for example but don't require it for FFPE microtomy or loading the IHC stainers.   What are others requiring in their labs?

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this issue.

Martha Ward
Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Wake Forest Baptist Health
Winston-Salem, NC 27157