[Histonet] CPT Code 88172

Joe W. Walker, Jr. jwwalker at rrmc.org
Wed Sep 4 13:07:26 CDT 2019

Hi Thomas,

What is your reference source for stating this is "a physician code"?  In reviewing our coding data, this code carries a facilities component in addition to a professional component.  I agree that a pathologist must perform the review in order to bill for both, but I am aware of people in New England who bill just the TC when a technologist provides the adequacy interpretation and some payers cover this charge.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)
Anatomical Pathology Manager
joewalker at rrmc.org, www.rrmc.org