[Histonet] Extremity carrier

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 12:50:59 CDT 2019

Dawn Olszewski  asks: >>I have been tasked to find a better solution to
transport extremities from the OR to histology.  We have tried cardboard
boxes (no longer allowed) and plastic totes on rollers (too big to store
and absorb odors from the legs).<<

Mopec offers >>Pathport 3 is a stainless steel constructed transport and
storage system specifically manufactured to accommodate pathology
specimens. Equipped with a custom fit disposable formaldehyde-neutralizing
pad and includes safety locks. The Pathport 3 is specially designed to
absorb harmful spills and vapors. Spill clean-up can be accomplished by
simply replacing the pad.<<

I didn't check the price of the Pathport 3, but it's difficult to imagine a
lab manager willing to spring for what must be a very expensive item.
Particularly because you'd need several of them, since pathologists are
accustomed to letting dead legs sit around for several days before they
dissect them, and then insisting the specimen sit around until the slides
are prepared and the case is signed out and forgotten.

I always raised people's eyebrows by insisting on dissecting the specimen
the day it arrived, and insisting it was off to the incinerator as soon as
I was done dissecting. I'd fix the tissues I wanted to examine, in a small
pot of formalin overnight, block them the following morning, decalcify the
arteries, and into the processor the next evening.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN