[Histonet] Muscle histochemistry workflow?

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Thu Nov 7 10:58:43 CST 2019

I'm wondering how other muscle histochem labs handle their workflow. Because the histochem stains require frozen sections and a freshly-prepared reagents, and muscle conditions are not usually very time sensitive, we batch all our cutting and staining to one batch per week. We have 5-10 cases a week. We run 6 stains in our standard batch (H&E, Trich, Dual Myosin, SDH, NADH, COX/SDH, MHC-1) and have a menu of 10 extra special stains and 10 immuno stains we can do once the slides are cut.

Do you batch once a week?
Batch more often?
Cut/stain as they come in?
Number of cases per week?

Thanks for any info!

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center