[Histonet] Histonet - Molecular Biology ASCP

Joe Myers jmyers1 at aol.com
Fri May 31 17:15:01 CDT 2019

Diana:
Unfortunately, there’s no such certification for “molecular biology in histology” per se; the MB certification offered by the ASCP is generally pursued by individuals who are already certified as an MT or MLT since these types of procedures are usually performed in the ‘main lab’ (rather than in the histology section).  That’s not to say that folks with HT/HTL/CT certification shouldn’t consider pursuing the MB as well if they’d like.  As Mark indicated in his response, doing so usually involves taking several courses relating to MB techniques/instrumentation, and although you will occasionally see an MB ‘overview’ course offered at a histology-society meeting, one would likely need a great deal more classroom/self-paced education and hands-on training to successfully pass the MB exam.
Cheers,
Joe Myers, M.S., CT(ASCP)QIHC