[Histonet] Re-embed agar/FFPE tissue in plastic?

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed May 29 10:53:08 CDT 2019

Kate, we regularly re-embed paraffin-embedded tissue in epoxy resin for electron microscopy. We are using very small tissue - kidney, liver, 1mm core biopsies.

For that we run thru xylene 4 x 30 min at 60C, 100% ethanol 3 x 10 min, 95, 70, 50% ethanol 5 min each, then to distilled water, then buffer. Then it goes on to processing for resin embedding. The wax is gone and will not interfere with the plastic. The agar will not be affected or affect plastic embedding. We use agar to embed cilia for EM with good results.

You might want to do some test tissue to get the timing right before trying on your samples.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center