[Histonet] Productivity Tracking

Pairan, Kelly Kelly.Pairan at nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Jul 5 09:41:28 CDT 2019

Good Morning Histoland,
How are you tracking your histotechs productivity when it comes to cutting?  We recently have implemented a 25 block per hour goal for all of our histotechs and are receiving some push back.  I made 25 block per hour the goal based on the following article that has been circulating for many years (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/41942535_Productivity_standards_for_histology_laboratories).  While I do not want to compromise quality, we do have turnaround times to meet and I have experienced techs who are cutting less than 20 blocks per hour.  I understand that some tissues and protocols take longer so this is an average not something that has to be hit every shift.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly Pairan,  HT (ASCP)CM, QIHC (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor-Anatomic Pathology
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Email:  kelly.pairan at nationwidechildrens.org
ph: 614-722-5414
fx: 614-722-3033