[Histonet] Faded Masson trichrome

Kate Davoli kdavoli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:52:13 CST 2019

This is quite a puzzle.  I ran a handful of slides in the SAME manual run
for my Masson trichrome stain (one glass caddy of slides, passing through
single troughs of dyes).  I've just coverslipped them and half the slides
have the expected bright high contrast coloring that I usually see, and
half the slides are pale/faded for all three colors.

The slides themselves came from different experiments (same wax, same
thickness, but cut and de-waxed at different times) ... could it be that
the paler set was not fully de-waxed?  Has anyone else seen this?

I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks!

Katherine Davoli, BA, HTL(ASCP)CM
Supervisor & Lab Manager, Tissue Culture & Histology Core Module
Ophthalmic and Visual Sciences Research Center
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh
Mail Stop Code: EEI010901
930 Eye & Ear Institute, 203 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 647-8256    davolika at upmc.edu and kdavoli at gmail.com