[Histonet] Grossing large ellipse melanomas

Kusters, Ronald ronald.kusters at pfmmedical.com
Thu Jan 10 02:59:35 CST 2019

Look here as well:
https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2286981&c=3378782&h=aa4430177bb0a084b28e&_xt=.pdf&_ga=2.246879180.97703180.1547110574-143004537.1535466547

Ronald

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Richmond [mailto:rsrichmond at gmail.com]
Sent: 08 January 2019 21:04
To: Histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Grossing large ellipse melanomas

Anne Murvosh HT at Advanced Dermatology & Skin Surgery in Washington state
asks:

>>We are starting to keep our melanomas in-house now that we have a
>>better
processor, however I could use some tips or tricks on cutting large fatty skin ellipse specimens. My problem I think, is too small a knife, the specimens are not cutting even and the fat is getting in the way. So any suggestions or links to grossing techniques would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on better cutting utensils for these?<<

First of all, you need to work closely with your dermatopathologist on this
- you shouldn't be expected to get it right all by yourself.

You need to be able to photograph these gross specimens, and insert the photograph in the report.

Gross the specimen as soon as you can, and then fix the slices overnight for processing.

Cut on a good cutting surface in good light with a steady hand.

They make disposable long scalpel blades. These are expensive and a little hard to find, and I've only ever seen them on two pathology services. Here are two resources:

Cellpath - which I've used - excellent knives
https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/macro-knife-8inch-10-pk/22222042

Sakura - haven't tried these
https://www.sakuraus.com/Products/Grossing-Trimming/Accu-Edge-Blade-System/Trimming-Knife-Series.html

Bob Richmond