[Histonet] Not DAB IHC waste

Jan Shivers shive003 at umn.edu
Fri Feb 22 10:11:46 CST 2019

Hello,
It depends upon which 'red' chromogen you are using.  There are several
with different chemical compositions, so you will need to look at the
Safety Data Sheets which pertain to the chemical you are using.

In my lab we use 3-amino-9-ethylcarbazole (AEC) which is considered
hazardous.  It causes eye and skin irritation, may cause serious eye
damage, and may cause cancer.  We ship our waste off for proper disposal;
it does not go down the water drain.

Best regards,
Jan Shivers
Senior Scientist
IHC/Histology Section Manager
Pathology Teaching Program
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Minnesota
1333 Gortner Ave.
St. Paul, MN  55108
612-624-7297
shive003 at umn.edu

*Confidentiality Notice: This message, together with any attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
think you have received this message in error, please advise the sender and
then delete this message and any attachments immediately.*