[Histonet] New York Qualifications for Histology Supervisor

Melissa Owens melissa at alliedsearchpartners.com
Thu Feb 21 10:20:31 CST 2019

Hello,

I have a question about the requirements to be a supervisor in New York. New York dept. of Ed states qualifications for a Medical Technologist/Laboratory Supervisor and a Cytotechnologist/Cytology Supervisor but no where does it mention qualifications for a Histototech/Histology Supervisor. So therefore, I have heard that in New York, a Histology Supervisor must qualify under the Medical Technologist/Laboratory Supervisor qualifications statues. This seems impossible to me as this would have to be an individual who becomes a Medical Technologist and by random transfers into a histology role then becomes a supervisor. Does anyone out there in New York legally qualify your histology supervisors who have a bachelors degree but were not former Medical Technologists? Thank you for any help as I have intensely scoped the New York department of Education website in my frustrations.

By the way, I am asking this because I have a Day Shift 7:30am-4pm Monday-Friday Histology Supervisor position in the New York Metropolitan area with these requirements and I don't know if there is a way around them. Thank you!

Melissa Owens, CHP (ASA)
President, Laboratory Staffing
Allied Search Partners