[Histonet] possible answer

Cassie P. Davis CDavis at che-east.org
Fri Feb 8 13:59:25 CST 2019

Reguarding:
Hello fellow Histonetters
I would like to ask you a question about IHC staining and derm cases.  I am seeing a peculiar issue going on, where the melanocytes in the middle of the tissues are staining pretty well but when you get to the ends of the tissues either shaves or ellipses, they are not staining. This is sporadic, not every case and there is no consensus as to a common thread between the cases.    I feel that this may be a fixation issue but was just wondering if anyone had ever seen the same phenomena and would be willing to share the theory or even better what was the remedy behind this issue.  The fixative is 10% Neutral Buffered Formaliln  and the cells in question that are "dropping out" which is what the pathologist is describing are melanocytes, especially with Sox-10 and Mart 1 antibodies.
Thanks for the assistance, I definitely appreciate it very much.

Best wishes,

[image001]  Debbie Siena, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Empowering Anatomic Pathology
Technical Support Manager, StatLab
2090 Commerce| McKinney, TX 75069
t: 800.442.3573 ext 229 | m: 469-400-6897 | f: 972-436-1369
dsiena at statlab.com<mailto:dsiena at statlab.com>|www.statlab.com<http://www.statlab.com/<mailto:dsiena@statlab.com%3E%7Cwww.statlab.com%3Chttp://www.statlab.com/>>

What you are seeing may be caused by the surgeon waiting before placing the specimen into the formalin. There are several newer studies indicating ischemic time adversely affecting IHC and since the outside of the specimen seems to be showing this, it would seem to fall in-line with the theory.

Cassandra Davis
Histology Technician
AP Laboratory
302-575-8095
Email:  CDavis at che-east.org<mailto:CDavis at che-east.org>

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Trinity Health and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.