[Histonet] plural fluid prep

Beth Cox bethcoxx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 12:55:41 CST 2019

Hi Michelle,

When I was in my Cytology training, we did an experiment to answer just
that question.  We started with a 2 liter jug of plural fluid with
nothing added, and we stored in in the fridge.  At first we tested it
every day to see if there was any degeneration, then we got tired of
that and tested twice a week, then once a week. After 4 months it was
still just fine, and we threw it away because we were tired of testing
it (and it was the end of the semester!).   It seems that the cells are
happy in their natural habitat and refrigeration slowed/prevented any
bacterial growth.

So  my advice is:  don't add anything to it, keep it in the fridge, and
it will last many months!!

Beth Cox, SCT/HTL(ASCP)QIHC