[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 189, Issue 26 Tissue Contamination /Floaters

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Fri Aug 30 13:43:25 CDT 2019

I wrote and posted on this subject some years ago.

In our lab, we virtually eliminated floaters 10 years ago, by using a combination of behavioral and technical procedures:
1) photographing every specimen since 2004 (in order to achieve report -worthy gross images, one must keep the grossing background scrupulously clean for every case).
2) wrapping every specimen in lens paper (creates a double barrier, first keeping floaters from this specimen inside and second keeps potential floaters from other specimens out).
3) folding the lens paper wrapping using forceps (cleaning the forceps as you fold).

Thanks,
Steve
Steve A. McClain, MD