[Histonet] Disposal of contaminated gloves, paper towels etc... after grossing

Eileen Akemi Allison akemiat3377 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 06:21:09 CDT 2019

Good morning Histo Peeps:

I am curious as to your laboratory/hospital policies on how to dispose of contaminated gloves, paper towels etc… after the PA/pathologists gross a specimen.

Often times we receive fresh tissue in the lab and we do not know if the patient has TB, Hepatitis, HIV, or any other infectious disease.  I was always taught that to treat these items universally as potential biohazards.  Do you discard these items in a Biohazard Waste Container,, or do you discard them in a regular trash basket?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Akemi Allison, BS, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Histology Manager
UMC El Paso, TX