[Histonet] Frozen sections and cold acetone...

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Fri Oct 26 10:09:02 CDT 2018

Tony, thanks for this. Our continued use of IF rather than IPOX is due to seemingly better signal/noise with IF. And now we have developed "rescue" techniques for IF on FFPE sections for cases in which the frozen portion is inadequate. Since we started that we have had more requests for IF of immunoglobulins on other FFPE tissues (liver, nerve, others) due to better signal/noise with IF vs IPOX of the same antibodies.

On the question of cold vs room temperature acetone, I remember WAY back when we would cut frozens and immediately put them in -20C acetone for fixation. We got away from that and now put them in 2C acetone after they have dried for 10-30 minutes. Results are the same (at least for Ig and complement antigen staining). So, I'm going to try room temp acetone to see the results. Also some have mentioned they don't fix in acetone at all with good results.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center