[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 179, Issue 4 AFB control

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Fri Oct 5 14:33:11 CDT 2018

I was taught it best to use separate controls on a second slide. But in practice, the only cases where a floater appeared it was obvious. In my own lab 14 year experience it has not happened.

However, about 10 years ago we started an experiment and switched to 2 AFB slides with pos and neg controls on one slide only but with patients samples on both slides. Looking at 2 slides sometimes makes me more confident.

I have not yet competed the study but anecdotally I do not recall or have never seen an AFB floater using this practice. We  deliberately keep both our control blocks quite small maybe 1-2 mm.

Steve
Steve A. McClain, MD
631-361-4000  Cell 631-926-3655