[Histonet] Histopathology text recommendations

Gordon Brown gordon at 10db.co.uk
Sat May 19 13:49:45 CDT 2018

Can anyone give me recommendations for a good histopathology text and atlas? I'm not a professional or even a formal student, I'm an amateur microscopist with a keen interest in histology, although I did attend a UK medical school many years ago only to decide that medicine was not for me. I'm now retired and expanding my interest in microscopy, which has fascinated me since the age of 8, I now have a collection of decent microscopes and microtomes and I'm setting up my study as a home microscopy and slide making facility. I have a growing collection of old histology slides including a number of pathology examples and I'm keen to be able to identify the histological changes that take place due to disease. In particular I am looking to be able to identify and photograph carcinomas as I recently acquired a photomicrography bench used by the Imperial Cancer Research Campaign in London during the 1950s and 1960s, and it would be appropriate to use it for the purpose it was designed for.

Hope someone can help, I've subscribed to this list for many years but only rarely posted anything, the last time was when I enquired about replaceable blade holders for the original Cambridge rocking microtome and a very kind histologist in the USA sent me a slightly damaged holder and some blades. Fortunately I never managed to adapt it for the Cambridge as it is a perfect fit for the Reichert and Leitz rotary microtomes I now own!