[Histonet] Surepath V/s thin pre

Joe W. Walker, Jr. jwwalker at rrmc.org
Mon May 14 12:24:24 CDT 2018

Lujain,

You'd have to define what "better" mean to you and your laboratory.  I've used both systems in my career.  Each have their pros and cons.  You would also need to define the specimen types you intend to process, i.e. Pap tests only, Pap tests and non-gyn.  Each company now offers a variety of options to help with pre-processing and processing steps.

Other variables to think about is if you are using the system for Pap tests, are you planning ancillary testing from the vial, do providers in your area have a preference, i.e ThinPrep is FDA approved as significantly better than conventional Pap tests, SurePath has same screening results as conventional but with fewer unsatisfactory Pap results.  Depending on your volume, maybe you want to offer both so that your providers have a choice of Pap testing options.  Lastly, are any of your providers looking for HPV primary screening as your choices are limited for this testing offer.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P 802.747.1790  F 802.747.6525
joewalker at rrmc.org, www.rrmc.org
Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England
Our Commitment to our Community: We Listen, We Respect, We Care . . . Always.
Joint Commission Accredited | Best Regional Hospital: U.S. News & World Report | Leapfrog Hospital Safety A Rating
ANCC Magnet Hospital Designation® | Healthgrades: Excellence Award for Patient Safety | Healthgrades: Outstanding Patient Experience Award