[Histonet] Paperwork / tracking batch controls

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Fri Jul 27 13:18:02 CDT 2018

There is an easy method to track batch controls using a blank slide. For each case stained, file a blank slide that has been labeled with the actual case number, the stain, and also the date of the control slide.  Easy peasy.  I published this method in Histologic in Aug. 1995 and it has stood the test of CAP and time.
As far as recording blocks and slides, if your new computer software system keeps those records and they can be retrieved easily, then you don't need to keep paper anymore. Happy Histo-ing!  Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

Today's Topics:
   6. Paperwork (Campbell, Tasha M.)
Message: 6
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 15:16:26 +0000
From: "Campbell, Tasha M." <tmcampbe at fmh.org>
Hi everyone,
I have 2 questions:
  1.  Could someone please share some ways to keep track of the control that goes with the slides that it was used for?  So I am a small GI lab and there is a pathologist here a couple days a week.  We do trichrome on Microscopic colitis cases and so I have been batching the trichromes because it's a long stain to do by hand and it's a lot easier to do it that way. But my slides are automatically printed for me and they have the date on them that the specimen was entered into the system.  I cut the slide but then hold it until I am ready to do the stain.  I put a date on the trichrome control slide but it of course does not match the date on the patient slides because they have been held for a few days.  Is this something I even need to worry about?  So far I have just been writing down the date that I stain the patient slide on a log sheet but I am trying to minimize the amount of paperwork/manual logging.
  1.  We recently got a accessioning system and I can now pull the number of blocks and stains done each day.  Do I need to still keep writing down in my log sheet the number of blocks and stains?  Do I need to print out the report that has the numbers and file it or since I have the ability to pull it from the system, I don't need to have physical logs.
I am just trying to minimize as much manual logging and paperwork as possible!  Thanks in Advance!!!
Tasha Campbell, B.S.,HTL(ASCP)
Frederick Gastroenterology Associates
310 W. 9th St.
Frederick, MD 21701