[Histonet] HELP Path requesting +PAP stain control

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Tue Jul 24 13:25:38 CDT 2018

On Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:31:48 -0400
From: Mary Ann <yesyes at comcast.net>
Subject: [Histonet] Positive PAP
Mary Ann wrote "Help! My pathologist has asked that a positive patient be run down with our PAP stain for QC.
Point me to a reference to counter this request."

Hi Mary Ann - First of all, my sympathies.  This is the kind of craziness that can give a pathologist a bad name.  Secondly, what does he call a patient positive?  Positive for what?  LOL, JK.  In response to your question, here are the ONLY 2 requirements for Cytology stain QC, straight from the latest CAP list.  See below.  As one can see, nowhere does it require any type of patient control, only a documented assessment of the stain quality, on "actual case material"  CAPs words, not mine. Good Luck! Terri

**REVISED**       08/21/2017
CYP.03925	Stain Assessment	Phase I
	Cytology stains are assessed at least annually to ensure their proper storage and acceptable quality.
NOTE: Cytology stains undergoing a daily technical quality review are exempt from an annual assessment.
Most stains used in the cytology laboratory are not subject to outdating, so that assignment of expiration dates may have no meaning.  The acceptable performance of such stains must be confirmed at least annually by technical assessment on actual case material, and as part of the evaluation of cytopathology cases. Where applicable, expiration dates assigned by a manufacturer must be observed.
Evidence of Compliance:
✓	Written procedure for stain assessment AND
✓	Records of assessment of appropriate quality of each cytology stain in use

CYP.04300	Daily QC	Phase II
Daily QC	Phase II
There are records of daily review of the technical quality of cytologic preparations by the pathologist or supervisory-level cytotechnologist.
NOTE:  The technical quality of cytologic preparations must be checked daily (on days processing occurs). This includes checking all stains for predicted staining characteristics each day of use. This check must include all of the types of preparations seen that day such as cytospins, cell blocks, and liquid based preparations.
If preparation and staining is performed by a different laboratory, there must be a procedure for the laboratory performing the preparation and staining to verify the acceptability of the quality of preparations and the acceptability of controls (if needed) before transfer.  Records of this verification must be readily available to the laboratory performing interpretations.  There should also be a mechanism for feedback from the interpreting laboratory to the laboratory that prepared the slides of any issues with the preparations.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital