[Histonet] Cap PAP Smears Controls

Joe W. Walker, Jr. jwwalker at rrmc.org
Tue Jul 17 10:49:53 CDT 2018

HI Mary Ann,

If you are referring to the Pap stain for Pap tests or for Non-Gyn specimens including FNA, you will need to verify daily that the technical quality of the slides.  This evaluation should include any preparation for the day, including liquid based, cytospins, direct smears, and cell blocks.  The slides should be evaluated to ensure the presentation of the cells, including the staining characteristics are appropriate for the nuclei and cytoplasm of the cells in question.  In our lab, we evaluate a slide from each staining run.  If we run only Pap tests, then a slide is randomly pulled from the run and evaluated. For non-gyn specimens, we apply the same technique if those specimens types were run on any day.  For non-gyn specimens, we also evaluate the Romanowsky stained slides.

As a CAP inspector, I have also observed labs who utilize a buckle smear for direct smear preps and also for liquid based preps.  They will run them through the stains to ensure that they work as expected before staining patient specimens. I don't think there is one correct way to perform this evaluation but the key is to make sure that you are evaluating each type of prep and the stain that you perform in your lab each day.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P 802.747.1790  F 802.747.6525
joewalker at rrmc.org, www.rrmc.org
Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England
Our Commitment to our Community: We Listen, We Respect, We Care . . . Always.
Joint Commission Accredited | Best Regional Hospital: U.S. News & World Report | Leapfrog Hospital Safety A Rating
ANCC Magnet Hospital Designation® | Healthgrades: Excellence Award for Patient Safety | Healthgrades: Outstanding Patient Experience Award