[Histonet] New Bone Stain

Dr. Michael Gudo (Morphisto GmbH) michael.gudo at morphisto.de
Wed Jul 11 06:57:51 CDT 2018

Hello Jessica,
Hello Natalia,

we have discussed the question of bone staining methods in our lab and we would recommend the following stainings, which will work on resin embedded material:

(1) For an overview and differentiation of various types of bone the traditional MASSON-GOLDNER or AZAN staining is quite fine, and should be the first try because these stains are more or less easy and fast and the staining solutions are not too expensive.

(2) MOVAT-Pentachrome in the original and in the modification after VERHOEFF also gives quite good differentiations of resin embedded bones and shows many details even in different types of bone. We use these staining here in many research projects we do for pharma companies that develop bone replacement materials.

(3) van KOSSA is also a very good silver impregnation to show mineralized bone, AND there is a possible combination with the MOVAT Pentachrom-Staining.

(4) Alizarinred can also be used to show different gradients of mineralisation; the staining kit contains solutions with several pH-values.

(5) Picro-Siriusred and other combinations of picric acid and other stains (picro fuchsin, picro polychrom, picro indigocarmin, and orcein-picroindicocramin can show good differentiations on tissues and cartilage and bone structures.
Remark: Sometimes its a bit difficult to establish picric acid based stainings on resin embedded tissues, if the resin has not been completely removed (which is possible with technovit 9100 (and some other MMA’s), but not with technovit 7200).

(6) LEVAI-LACZKO's stain provides a good differentiation between mineralized bone matrix, Osteoid and synthetic bone substitutes.

(7) A special „Bone Stain“, published by Villanueva in 2009 (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/10520297409116928 <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/10520297409116928>) works best on fresh material. We have not yet tested it completely on resin embedded tissues, but some of our customers used it successfully.
For this stain, a „staining powder" has to be synthesized from various single stains (basic fuchsin, orange G, fastgreen and azure II) and finally mixed into a ready to use staining solution; we produce the stain powder and ready to use solution here in our lab.

(8) Last but not least HEROVICI’s stain might help beacuse it differentiates between new and old collagen structures. Though it was originally developed for diagnostics in wound repair, some of our customers use it to differentiate between mineralized bone, new bone (Osteoid) and synthetic bone substitutes.

For all staining procedures on resin embedded material its necessary to edge the surface with citric acid or hydrogen peroxide, depending on the kind of resin you are using. If it is technovit 7200 citric acid should work fine, for technovit 9100 you can also try to remove the resin with methoxyethylacetate and acetone. Please note, that there can be a significant difference in the quality of the stain between Technovit 9100 and Technovit 7200, depending on what you want to see. In general, the stain on Technovit 9100 sections will be more powerful and brilliant than that on Technovit 7200 sections.

As mentioned in my previous mail, we have a local dealer in Oklahoma, and if you or somebody else is interested in our ready-to-use stainings kits, just let me know, I will then make the direct contact.

Kind regards
Michael

> Am 10.07.2018 um 22:15 schrieb Jessica Riggleman via Histonet <histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu>:
>
> Hey Jennifer,
> Thanks for your help. I have two questions:
>
> 1. What is the point of decalcifying if they are in plastic?
> 2. Did you see the counterstain? Right now only the bone is staining. How long did you leave these in the counterstain for?
> Thanks!
> Jessica

MORPHISTO GmbH
PD Dr. phil. nat. Michael Gudo
Weismüllerstr. 45
60314 Frankfurt am Main
Telefon: 			069 / 400 3019 - 62
Telefax:			069 / 400 3019 - 64

E-Mail: michael.gudo at morphisto.de <mailto:info at morphisto.de>
Internet: http://www.morphisto.de/ <http://www.morphisto.de/>

Vertretungsberechtigter Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Gudo

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Frankfurt
Registernummer: HRB 74954
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer gemäß § 27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE243397199
Diese Nachricht ist ausschliesslich fuer den bezeichneten Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt. Beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der unautorisierten Nutzung, Veroeffentlichung, Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe des Inhaltes der Email nicht gestattet ist. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser Email oder dessen Vertreter sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit dem Absender der Email in Verbindung zu setzen und anschliessend diese Email und saemtliche Anhaenge zu loeschen.
This message is exclusively for the person addressed or their representative. Any form of the unauthorized use, publication, reproduction, copying or disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient of this message and its contents, please notify this sender immediately and delete this message and all its attachments subsequently.