[Histonet] Histology Hacks - The book

Johnson, Teri teri.johnson at navigatebp.com
Tue Jan 16 12:43:33 CST 2018

Hi histonetters!

Some clarification is needed I think.

In this context, the term "hacks" are used these days to describe work arounds to make our lives easier. I have seen videos which show many household hacks such as using the hole in the flip top can to hold a straw, or using a rubber band in a stripped phillips screw head to get the screw out. I'm sure you can add more that made you figuratively smack your forehead with disbelief you didn't come up with them!

Additionally, I do agree with those who point out that the best option is having the work done correctly the first time. However, we all know that one pathologist, student, intern, etc. in your practice that doesn't take the proper time to make the sample reasonable prior to processing. Or in our case, we receive mostly paraffin blocks that are processed elsewhere globally, and you never know what you will get. So knowing some workarounds to help us get the best section and stain possible is quite useful.

And finally, much of this knowledge is tribal. I learned it from the seasoned techs before me, and I pass it along to the techs who follow. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
T +760 602 1402
teri.johnson at navigatebp.com