[Histonet] CAP checklist ANP.11680 Cross Contamination

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Mon Jan 15 08:20:47 CST 2018

**NEW**       08/21/2017
ANP.11680	Cross Contamination	Phase II
There is a written procedure to prevent cross-contamination of specimens during grossing.
NOTE:  At a minimum, cleaning (e.g. wiping or rinsing) of forceps and scalpel blades between cases is required. In addition, if a laboratory processes both small specimens (e.g. biopsies) and large specimens (e.g. surgical resections), cleaning of instruments and cutting surfaces must be performed between cases. Avoid re-using cotton swabs/applicator sticks on multiple specimens or "double-dipping" the cotton swab/applicator in the ink. Some laboratories may choose to use disposable surfaces (e.g. formalin absorbent pads, butcher paper, etc.) for large cases. Grossing of similar types of specimens sequentially should be avoided, if feasible.
REFERENCES
1) 	Lott R, et al. Practical Guide to Specimen Handling in Surgical Pathology. College of American Pathologists, November 2015. Available at http://www.cap.org/ShowProperty?nodePath=/UCMCon/Contribution%20Folders/WebContent/pdf/practical-guide-specimen-handling.pdf, Accessed November 4, 2016.
2) 	Gephardt GN, Zarbo RJ. Extraneous tissue in surgical pathology: A College of American Pathologists study of 275 laboratories. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996;120:1009-14

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal
   2. Re: Cross Contamination CAP policy (Bob Richmond)

Message: 2