[Histonet] cutting test

Rathborne, Toni Toni.Rathborne at RWJBH.org
Tue Jan 9 10:16:07 CST 2018

If a "practical" interview is permitted, I would also have the applicant embed some control tissue. You can tell a lot about a person's habits by observing them actually work. Can they talk and embed/cut at the same time, or do they stop working? Are they conscientious about specimen identification, cross-contamination, and quality? Or do they just speed through their work without paying attention, or are they too slow for your expectations?
Quite often these traits will carry over to other areas of a person's work habits, and you may find that this method is beneficial.

Toni

NOTICE: This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information protected by law. It is intended only for use by the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or by reply e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail and the attachments, if any, and destroy any printouts.

-----Original Message-----
From: Terri Braud via Histonet [mailto:histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 9:23 AM
To: 'histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: Re: [Histonet] cutting test

*** This is an External Email ***

Please be sure to clear any use of a "cutting test" during the interview process with your institution's legal department.  If an interviewee should cut themselves, the liability could be steep.  If you have a clearly defined minimum cutting speed/quality, a better solution would be to hire the best fit for your lab, then, if they can't meet  the minimum requirements, then it's easy to let them go during the probationary period.  That's what it's for.
Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

Today's Topics:
   2. Suggested Requirements for new uncertified HTs (Erin McCarthy)
   3. Re: Suggested Requirements for new uncertified HTs (Jay Lundgren)
   4. Re: Suggested Requirements for new uncertified HTs
      (Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID))

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 10:19:00 -0600
From: Erin McCarthy <erin.mccarthy at tempus.com> Hi All,

I work at a Start-Up and I was our first hire. I have been practicing since
2011 when I got my certification. However, we are looking to expand, what would you suggest our baseline technical competencies be for a position that focuses exclusively on cutting and IHC. In an interview it is hard to access what a person is capable of, would it be acceptable for me to have applicants performs a cutting time test?
I am open to hiring new techs, but I want to make sure we are not hamstrung by a great interviewer with a lacking technical skill set.
Thanks!
Erin McCarthy, HT (ASCP)
Histotechnician
Tempus Labs