[Histonet] 10% NBF Neutralization - Aldehyde test

Ringer, Bradley brringer at SpringfieldClinic.com
Thu Dec 20 10:21:47 CST 2018

Does anyone currently neutralize formalin to dump down the sanitary system drain? We are currently using Formalex Green to neutralize our formalin for dumping. We have run into the issue of not being able to purchase aldehyde testing kits to verify the formalin has actually been neutralized before dumping.  We have contacted the company, that in the past has sold us these aldehyde testing kits, and we were told they no longer sell them because histology labs are only checking the pH of the "neutralized formalin". After going back and forth a few times, the sales rep now tells us that we also need to be checking the aldehyde levels before dumping which is exactly what we have been trying to tell him.  So, if anyone is neutralizing formalin to dump down the drain, are you checking the aldehyde levels and if so what product/test are you using?

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

Brad

Brad Ringer, HTL (ASCP)
Springfield Clinic Histology Manager
1025 S. 6th Street, Springfield, IL 62703
(217)528-7541 ext. 14078

This electronic message contains information from Springfield Clinic, LLP that may be confidential, privileged, and/or sensitive. This information is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately, by electronic mail, so that arrangements may be made for the retrieval of this electronic message. Thank you.