[Histonet] [EXTERNAL] Re: Breast lumpectomy fixation

Porter, Douglas Douglas.Porter at sparrow.org
Wed Dec 19 18:33:23 CST 2018

Also, remember there is a minimum fixation time (cold ischemic) that is a requirement as well.  It is 60 minutes.  Some surgeons/surgery departments will not place the first breast specimen in formalin until they have removed the second breast when performing a double mastectomy.  Help them to remember this requirement as they often forget when doing these procedures.  Remember, the patient has entrusted us with their specimen and often their lives.  We need to look out for them and be their advocates when it comes to handling of surgically removed tissue specimens.  <steps down off soapbox and returns to grossing mastectomy specimen>