[Histonet] detection of ganglion cells and nerve fibers

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Tue Aug 14 13:57:58 CDT 2018

In the past, I've used a rapid acetylcholinesterase on frozen material, but we never used Osmium to enhance staining.  I've also used IHC on FFPE sections using s-100 and peripherin.  Works great, but it's been awhile, so I don't know if there is something better/easier out there now.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:11:34 +0000
From: "Hobbs, Carl" <carl.hobbs at kcl.ac.uk>
When I was doing them biopsies (  pre-operative) to establish status, we used a std histochemical method on frozen sections of biopsy material ( visualising acetylcholinesterase activity).
It used Osmium to enhance /darken positivity so, NOT recommended these days.
I recall somebody leaving the lid off the Osmium ( stored at 4C)?..the fridge plastic lining was BLACK the next day!
So, any antibody that identifies nerve fibres and ganglion cells should be equally effective, using IHC/IF?
Sure, interpretation is critical ( identifying presence/absence of ganglion cells and "significant" increase in lamina propria of nerve fibres as compensatory mechanism)
There must be an internationally recognised/accepted protocol?
Which technique does Great Ormond Street Hospital/St Thomas' Hospital  use, these days?
Curious-illy
Carl
 Carl Hobbs FIBMS
Histology and Imaging Manager