[Histonet] effect of power outage on tissue processor

Allan Wang allanw at biomax.us
Fri Apr 20 11:45:07 CDT 2018

A generator is probably the cheapest option if you can go manually start it
after a few hours.

I purchased a UPS for a DNA sequencer which shouldn't lose power when in
use. You may also want one to add a few hours of leeway before the
generator is needed.
You should measure the tissue processor's power consumption during usage
with something like a Kill-A-Watt or cheaper ones to help you choose the
right size of UPS.
The E300 manual says it draws 10.5 A at 110 V which is 1200 W, but actual
usage could be significantly less if you aren't processing 300 samples.

I use this UPS and external battery:
https://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-SU2200XLCD-2200VA-1800W-Online/dp/B00CBQNBYI
https://www.amazon.com/BP48V27-2US-External-Battery-Select-
Online/dp/B00I3RROT2

This battery is also an option:
http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-bp48v60rt3u~7TRPL1CE.htm

It has a chart for runtimes with external batteries:
https://assets.tripplite.com/ups-runtime-chart/su2200xlcd-ru
ntime-chart-en.pdf

Allan Wang
Lab Manager