[Histonet] Translational science/medicine/research IHC lab question

Katy Milne kmilne at bccrc.ca
Fri Sep 29 12:21:09 CDT 2017

I run the histology lab at the Deeley Research Centre in Victoria BC, we're a combination of basic research (mostly mouse projects) and translational research (often samples from clinical trials and other human-based research projects).

Translational research is just really the bridge between bench and bedside so you're looking mostly at human samples where the outcome of the research could translate into downstream benefits to human health.

It's hard to say what advice I would have for setting up a translational lab but you can certainly hit me up offline with any questions you may have and I can help where I can.

As for equipment you'd basically have what you have in a basic IHC lab.  Beyond that it would depend on what sort of services you want to offer.  We do a lot of multicolour IHC so we have a multispectral imaging system (Vectra) and we have automated scoring software (Inform) as a lot of our clients don't have an in-house pathologist available to them so they just want an excel file of counts at the end of the day.  We also do multicolour IF so we use the same system for that.  We've also been working on developing the molecular end of things with ISH and in situ PCR, possibly Nanostring down the road but typically these have been backburnered as we've been so busy with the multicolour IHC projects.

Good luck!

Katy Milne
Molecular and Cellular Immunology Core
Trev and Joyce Deeley Research Centre