[Histonet] Formalin collection at grossing stations

Vickroy, James jvickroy at SpringfieldClinic.com
Tue Sep 12 15:45:50 CDT 2017

We have been told by our chemical waste company that we no longer can discard small biopsy containers with formalin in them.  In our workflow process we gross small specimens.  We generally use forceps to take the small biopsies from the container of formalin and reseal the container with the residual formalin.  The container is then discarded in a red bag and held for two days incase we have to go back for labeling questions.  Rarely do we have to go back to make sure a specimen was not left in a container. (example three fragments grossed and the clinician said there were four fragments).  Large amounts of formalin from our tissue processors is recycled so the only formalin that has been going in the biohazard waste has been what's in the prefilled containers.  However, I know it adds up.   We have two options that seem to make the most sense.  We can collect and recycle the residual formalin from the containers or we can collect and neutralize the formalin.   Since we already recycle it seems logical to recycle when we can however at some point we will have an abundance and will be forced to neutralize.

Here is my questions:

Do your grossing techs collect the formalin as they gross each specimen or do they leave the containers with the residual formalin in them for a period of time?  We will still keep the empty containers for two days whether we dump the formalin while we are grossing or have to go back to them two days later just in case there are labeling questions.

If they collect the formalin as they gross each specimen is there any special way they have come up with to keep the formalin fumes down besides removing a lid of a waste container each time they discard the formalin.   I realize that grossing is done under the hoods however, I'm not in favor of an open container of formalin in the grossing station.   It elevates exposure amounts and expensive filters become exhausted much faster.  One of my staff members immediately went into McGiver mode to come up with a method however I'm not sure we aren't overthinking this process.   Your thoughts?

Jim

Jim Vickroy
Histology Manager
Springfield Clinic, Main Campus, East Building
1025 South 6th Street
Springfield, Illinois  62703
Office:  217-528-7541, Ext. 15121
Email:  jvickroy at SpringfieldClinic.com<mailto:jvickroy at SpringfieldClinic.com>

This electronic message contains information from Springfield Clinic, LLP that may be confidential, privileged, and/or sensitive. This information is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately, by electronic mail, so that arrangements may be made for the retrieval of this electronic message. Thank you.